oxford Blood - Featuring Rain Dove
We are AUTOHEART
We make music
We are family
We create and evolve and collaborate
We are people
We are more than the sum of our parts
We are us
We are you
We are Autoheart
We can build a fire
Vocals / Jody Gadsden
Keyboard, Synth, Sax / Simon Neilson
Bass, Guitar / Barney JC
WE ARE RON ADAMS
THE cover of our album ‘I Can Build A Fire’ is a painting called Neptune by Australian artist Ron Adams, who makes the most incredible retro-futuristic psychedelic paintings and sculptures. Here is Jody with the painting, which - and this shows what an amazing guy he is - Ron gave to us. We love it, obviously. Here's the man himself...
We discovered each other totally by chance via Instagram in December last year – he liked a couple of our pictures and we instantly connected with his work.
We knew we wanted the visuals for ‘I Can Build A Fire’ to be colourful and bold and a nod to one of the major influences on the sound of the album, Abba.
His paintings seemed to have been made for us, and Neptune even has an A for Autoheart in it.
Ron’s work is heavily influenced by the music he’s into – Slade, T Rex, The Smiths, Brian Eno and Philip Glass are just a few he mentions – and they all seem to look like incredible album covers.
Some of them feature song lyrics – like the (incredible) installation Five Choices of Death:
In it, the coloured targets each represent countries where it is illegal to be gay.
Ron said to me: ‘In some of the countries, being gay is punishable by death and you get given choices of how you want to be executed, which is what the title refers to. It was part of a bigger exhibition about “difference”. The choice of the Smiths lyric really summed up how despite being gay, and being seen as different, I just feel like a regular guy like anyone else.’
One our favourites it a piece called H.O.L.L.A.N.D. It’s the cover to our single Oxford Blood:
The red writing says ‘Hope our love lasts and never dies’. We didn’t know the meaning behind the painting until after we’d chosen it for the cover, and I was totally blown away when he told me: ‘Me and my partner, George have known each other since we were 10. We are both in our 50s now. A few years ago, he gave me a ring, and on the inside the inscription was H.O.L.L.A.N.D. Hope our love lasts and never dies.’
It’s sort of spooky that despite him being the other side of the world – and the fact we have never met – his pictures and our music feel like they’re made for each other. It makes you believe in fate!
Я тут в космосе Autoheart - это любовь в кубической степени
current mood: moscow by autoheart
'Strange and gorgeous' - The Telegraph
'This band is doing it right' - Buzzfeed
'Heaven' - The Guardian
- I Can Build A Fire - (26 August 2016 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes, CD available on Bandcamp
- DEMOS - (30 May 2014 - O/R Records) - Bandcamp only release, purchase here
- Punched - (28 April 2014 - O/R Records) - Bandcamp only release, purchase here
- Punch (15 July 2013 - O/R Records) - Purcahse on iTunes, CD available on Bandcamp
- Oxford Blood - (19 August 2016 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes.
- Possibility - (22 July 2016 - O/R Records) - Purcahse on iTunes
- Beat The Love - (14 February 2014 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes
- Moscow/Agoraphobia - (8 July 2013 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes
- Lent - (11 February 2013 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes
- Lent remixes - (11 February 2013 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes
- Control - (5 November 2012 - O/R Records) - Purchase on iTunes
- The Sailor Song - (30 November 2009 – SBW Music) - Purchase on iTunes